Morgan State Bears prepare for first home game: new turf, same team

Defensive+backs+Haraan+Ransom+and++Simeon+Gatling+support+running+back+Jabriel+Johnson.+

Jabray Franklin

Defensive backs Haraan Ransom and Simeon Gatling support running back Jabriel Johnson.

Brianna Taylor and Olafimihan Oshin, Spokesman Staff

With a 0-3 record, you’d think the Morgan State Bears would be overwhelmed as they prepare for Saturday evening’s game against the North Carolina Central Eagles, a team that defeated them three years ago.

The 0-3 Bears have been defeated by the Bowling Green University’s Falcons, James Madison University’s Dukes and, most recently, the United States Military Academy’s Army Black Knights.

However, their steady losses have not inspired fear.

In fact, the Bears are ready for their highly anticipated debut on their newly renovated field.

“I know the last three games didn’t go our way but we are looking forward to this game on Saturday to prove the doubters wrong and show the Morgan fans what they want to see,” Stefan Touani, junior sports information major, center and team caption said.

When asked if the team has changed its strategy to combat their losing start to their season, Touanio said while their strategy has not changed their tactics have become more polished.

“I wasn’t on the team when we played Central but watching a film from three years ago, the defensive line is definitely faster,” Touanio said. “We just have to take care of the ball, make smart decisions on the offense and defense and we can make sure we can put something ont he field that Morgan State can be proud of.”

As the team navigates their season with Tyrone Wheatley, the new head coach and a former professional player for the New York Giants Oakland Raiders, he and the players have one goal—to win.

“Getting the team from one place to the next and what the progression looks like for me is to continue to build toughness, continue building discipline and looking for our first win,” Wheatly said.

While the football team is optimistic about the season, many students have grown weary of the team’s losing streak.

“The football team underperforms every single season,” said Malik Applewhite, senior business administration major. “They currently have a losing record and I see no change happening anytime soon.” 

Others question the university’s decision to renovate the stadium while several buildings on campus continue to deteriorate.

“I think money should’ve gone to renovations for dorms, buildings and buying equipment for those programs that need it,” said Asunwa Clement, a sophomore political science major. “I don’t understand renovating a stadium when we don’t have a winning team.”

As the first home game of the season approaches, the university grows contagious with hope.

“I’m excited for the first home game because I want to see bigger and better things from the team,” Clement said.

The Bears will face the Falcons at 6 p.m. on Friday at Morgan’s home field, Hughes Stadium.