Howard University’s Women’s Basketball team beats the Lady Bears

Joshua Sampson, Staff Writer

The Howard University Lady Bison’s defeated their beltway rival the Morgan State University Lady Bears 74-62 in a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) matchup Monday night as the Lady Bears shooting woes continue.

The Lady Bears shot 36 percent from the field as the Lady Bison’s ( (16-11 overall, 9-5 MEAC)  pulled away late in the fourth quarter to improve the winning streak to three games led by forward Imani Bryant who scored a team-high of 16 points

Although Howard University was leading throughout the game Morgan State women’s basketball team (8-19 overall, 6-7 MEAC) continued to fight, but finished the game with 18 turnovers.

“Their team can score, [so] you got to protect the basketball every possession,” said Ed Davis, head coach of the Lady Bears. “all of sudden we turn the ball over four straight times.”

After being down 10 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Lady Bears were able to shorten the Lady Bison lead to only three points after going on a 10-2 run beginning at the 8:04 mark and “all of sudden we turn the ball over four straight times,” according to Davis.

The run began with guard Kayla Horn (six points) making a layup and was followed by freshman guard Ashia McCalla and Horn knocking down free throws. Jihayah Chavis capped the run off with a three-pointer to shorten the Lady Bison lead to 59-56.

However, Howard was not fazed by Morgan State’s attempt at a comeback went on 15-6 run beginning at the 5:43 mark of their own to close out the game. Sarah Edmond sparked the run as she scored her ninth point when she responded to Chavis’s three-pointer with one of her own.

Followed by a tough layup while being fouled by Ayonna Williams and two made free throws from Jayla Thorton, the Lady Bisons found themselves again up 10 and a comfortable position to ultimately win the game.

The Lady Bears first basket since the Chavis three-pointer did not come until it was 2:27 remaining when Horn made another layup. However, at this point, the Lady Bison were up by 14 as the score was 72-58.

Senior forward Adre’onia Coleman scored a game-high 20 points and tied a game-high eight rebounds. Chavis also finished with double-digits as she scored 17 points along with McCalla who scored 11.

Next, the Lady Bears will travel to Delaware State to face the Hornets on Saturday, March 4 at 2 p.m. in the MEAC matchup.