The School of Global Journalism and Communications Honors Graduating Seniors

Penelope Blackwell, Managing Editor

The School of Global Journalism and Communication held its first spring Senior Recognition Luncheon in the University Student Center on Wednesday afternoon.

About 60 people filled the room and indulged in a range of food selections from honey glazed salmon to a medallion of beef tenderloin, mixed green garden salad, rotisserie chicken, assorted cakes, pies and more.

But the real treat was offered when students received their gift bags with a customized SGJC graduation stole, a lapel pin and a writing pen with a USB attached filled with memories of their classmates. 

“The stoles are probably the best thing because now we will really stand out at graduation,” said Blair Young, a graduating senior.

SGJC is made up of three departments: multimedia journalism, multiplatform production and strategic communication. The ceremony continued as each department’s chair saluted their majors off with a comforting speech and a picture.

“This is an emotional event for me. I am happy that we [SGJC faculty and staff] have succeeded in our task. And the challenge for us was to produce graduates who can go out and succeed in the world and I think we’ve largely done that,” said DeWayne Wickham, dean of the SGJC.

“I am very hopeful that our students will be the front line of the talented tenth that DuBois talked about,” Wickham added.

The luncheon not only provided the communication students with some of Thompson Hospitality best food, but also a reality check.

“The event gave recognition to all of us, but it made it realistic that I am about to graduate,” said Simone Benson, a graduating senior. “I feel like this is a chapter that is closing and I feel the excitement for the unknown for the next.”