The Spokesman

The Walters Museum Asks for Funding

The MSU Spokesman

By Camille Harrison, Herman Fogus and Andrew Cephas

There are cracks in the stairs from years of foot-traffic and the museum’s family center has seen better days but on November 4, voters will have a chance to change all that.

On the ballot, Question E, is a $400,000 bond issue for the Walters Art Museum which is asking for the money to help fund renovations and improvement. The Walter’s joins three other cultural institutions, The Baltimore Museum of Art, The Aquarium and The Discovery Center in requesting funds this year.

All four organizations intend to use the money for various building-improvements that will maximize the visitor’s experience.

The Walters Art Museum has received $2.4 million in appropriations from Baltimore City bond bills since 2005 for capital improvements.

“We are grateful to the City of Baltimore and its voters for investing in the Walters,” said museum spokeswoman Mona M. Rock, describing a new interactive exhibit that is being installed and some upgrades the museum is making to the Hackerman House, the first in over 20 years.

In 2013, 165,000 visitors came to the Walters.

“This is a fantastic art museum with a wonderful, richly diverse collection,” said David Espenlaud, a Ukrainian, who was visiting the Walters last week. “A real treasure and it’s all free.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Walters Museum Asks for Funding”

1. Aquarium wants a ‘Living Seashore’ | The MSU Spokesman on November 1st, 2014 2:58 pm

[…] Aquarium joins the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Walters Art Museum, Port Discovery Children’s Museum, the Recreation and Parks Department, the library and the […]

2. Maryland Voters go to the Polls: A Look at the Races | The MSU Spokesman on November 4th, 2014 8:09 am

[…] on several bond issues. Four of the city’s cultural institutions—The Baltimore Museum of Art, The Walters, The National Aquarium and The Port Discover Center—are asking are asking for $200,000 to […]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student News Site of Morgan State University
The Walters Museum Asks for Funding