‘I’m hoping he’s someone who’s determined and dedicated’: What Morgan’s football team is looking for in its new head coach

Morgan’s football team is currently searching for its fourth head coach since 2016.

Edwin Moore

Morgan’s football team is in search of a new head coach as Tyrone Wheatley left the program to coach for the Denver Broncos.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

Morgan State’s athletic department has another staff position to fill a new head football coach vacancy. 

On Feb. 16, the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL) officially announced former Morgan State head coach Tyrone Wheatley as its new running backs coach.

When Wheatley informed Morgan’s football team of his departure, his players got emotional, junior linebacker Lawrence Richardson said.

“I was really shocked,” Richardson said. “Once my other teammates… started crying… I cried too. I didn’t see it coming.”

In addition to a head football coaching vacancy, Morgan is also looking for a new permanent athletic director.

University President David Wilson said a new football coach will not be named until after a new athletic director is chosen.

“I want to appoint the new AD before I reach a decision on a new football coach,” Wilson said. “The expectation is that the new permanent AD will be in place by June 1.”

Morgan’s football program has had three head coaches since fall 2016: Fred Farrier, Ernest Jones, and Wheatley.

The football team has won 13 out of 43 games during those coaches’ tenures.

Like Richardson, freshman safety Kaleb Coleman was surprised to hear that Wheatley was leaving, but understood the decision.

“As far as college football, we’re family but… it’s also a business side,” Coleman said. “People have to do what’s best for them at the end of the day.”

Richardson said he hopes Morgan’s next head coach has similar qualities to Wheatley such as being understanding.

“I would just say understanding,” Richardson said in regards to what he is looking for in a new coach. “Almost like the same qualities that Coach Wheatley brought.”

Coleman hopes the next coach will be determined and dedicated.

“I’m hoping he’s someone who’s determined and dedicated,” Coleman said. 

If Morgan hires a coach internally, Richardson hopes that associate head coach William Carr and defensive backs coach Omarr Smith are considered.

“The only coaches that are really left are between Coach O and Coach Carr,” Richardson said. “I’m good with any of them taking the job.”

Coleman also believes Carr is a good candidate to become Morgan’s next head coach.

“I definitely believe he has what it takes to be that next guy for Morgan State football,” Coleman said.

“[Carr] was like Coach Wheatley’s right-hand man,” Richardson said. “He kind of has the same qualities as Coach Wheatley.”

Coleman said it is ultimately him and his teammates’ responsibility to turn the football program around, regardless of who their next coach is.

“As long as me and my guys are still here ready to go… we’ll be good,” he said.