Morgan State women’s basketball team set to celebrate senior night on Monday

Morgan women’s basketball team includes four seniors and two graduate student-athletes.

Ashia+McCalla+is+the+lone+senior+on+the+team+that+has+been+a+member+of+Morgan%E2%80%99s+program+for+four+seasons.+

Jordan D. Brown

Ashia McCalla is the lone senior on the team that has been a member of Morgan’s program for four seasons.

Darius Brockett, Contributing Writer

Morgan State’s women’s basketball team (15-7, 9-3), will celebrate four seniors for its senior night on Monday at 5 p.m. when they face the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES). 

Morgan’s seniors include Ashia McCalla, Taylor Addison, Khaliah Hines, and Charlene Shepherd. The team consists of four seniors and two graduate students; Jayla Atmore and Dahyne Redd.

McCalla is the lone senior on the team that has been a member of Morgan’s program for four seasons. 

Head coach Edward Davis said he has seen his senior players experience highs and lows during their tenures at Morgan. 

“For some of them it’s been an up and down roller coaster having to adjust to winning,” Davis said.

Davis’ team accumulated a 10-21 record in the 2018-19 season.

Over the past two seasons, the team has won 27 out of 38 games. 

On Saturday, the Lady Bears traveled to Dover, Del. where they defeated Delaware State in a 69-63 overtime thriller led by senior forward Shepherd’s 18 points and 12 rebounds.

McCalla said playing on senior night will be bittersweet.

“It’s bittersweet… I feel like definitely from my freshman year to now I’ve grown a lot,” said McCalla.

McCalla’s college career accomplishments include being named to the All-Rookie Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) team and scoring 1,000 career points on Feb. 14.

McCalla, Addison, Hines, and Shepherd will be celebrated before Monday’s game with their coaches, families and friends.