Inaugural NBA HBCU Classic with Morgan State and Howard will be televised Feb. 19

Morgan State men’s basketball game against Howard University on Feb. 19 will air on TNT and ESPN2.

Edwin Moore

The Bears will celebrate seven seniors on Monday.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

Morgan State’s men’s basketball team will compete against Howard University in the inaugural National Basketball Association (NBA) HBCU Classic, presented by AT&T.

The game will be simulcast on TNT and ESPN2.

Morgan’s game against Howard is a part of NBA All-Star 2022 and will take place on Saturday, Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Wolstein Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

“The NBA HBCU Classic during the celebration of Black History Month highlights the important mission of Historically Black Colleges and Universities and the critical role they play in our country,” said Morgan’s interim athletic director Erlease Wagner.

In addition to the game, the NBA and AT&T are each donating $100,000 to Morgan and Howard’s athletic departments, to support facility upgrades, student-athlete academic resources and health and wellness services.

Morgan head coach Kevin Broadus said the opportunity to coach in the game means a lot to him.

“It means a lot,” Broadus said. “When you’re asked to be the first of anything that means people are watching what you’re doing.”

Senior Morgan guard Sherwyn Devonish is also looking forward to the game.

“Not too many HBCUs get the opportunity to play in front of NBA legends and All-Stars,” Devonish said.

Before the game, actress and musician Keke Palmer is scheduled to perform the national anthem and “Lift Every Voice and Sing” accompanied by Howard’s marching band.

The broadcast crew will feature four HBCU alumni across various networks including Stephanie Ready and Stephen A. Smith.

Both teams will meet with NBA league executives, current and former NBA and WNBA players and engage in professional development programs. (Courtesy of Instagram)