Morgan’s men’s and women’s basketball teams set to face Howard on Saturday

Morgan’s basketball teams will try to get back in the win column this weekend after suffering close losses last weekend.

Edwin Moore

Morgan’s men’s and women’s basketball teams are set to have a home doubleheader against Howard’s basketball teams this Saturday.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

After suffering down-to-the-wire losses against Coppin State on Jan. 15, Morgan State’s men’s and women’s basketball teams will try to earn victories against Howard on Saturday.

The women’s game is set to tip off at 2 p.m. in Hill Field House and the men’s game is set to begin at 4 p.m.

The games will stream on HSRN.com, per the school’s athletics website.

According to Erlease Wagner, Morgan’s interim athletic director, the athletic department is following campus guidelines as it pertains to COVID-19 and spectators attending home games.

The university’s guidelines includes spectators wearing a mask or face covering while indoors.

“All students, employees, and visitors, regardless of vaccination status, must wear a mask or appropriate face covering while inside Hill Field House,” Wagner said in an email sent to The Spokesman.

The men’s basketball team (6-8) suffered a 79-76 loss against Coppin State (3-14) in their last game after Coppin guard Nendah Tarke converted a game-winning, buzzer beater shot from behind half court.

Junior Morgan guard De’Torrion Ware, the reigning Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Co-Defensive Player of the Week, recorded a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds in the loss. He also had four steals.

Howard’s men’s basketball team, whose record is also 6-8, lost their last game, after suffering a 71-68 loss against Notre Dame on Jan. 17.

The Lady Bears will try to improve their record to 7-5 when they face Howard.

The team lost 67-65 against Coppin and Morgan junior guard Adia Brisker scored 20 points and made nine of 19 field goal attempts.

The Lady Bears’ game against Coppin was their first competition since Dec. 8. Four of their scheduled games were either canceled or postponed due to COVID-19 protocols.

Howard’s women’s basketball team (7-6) is entering Saturday’s game on a two-game winning streak.