Morgan State athletics director Edward Scott accepts position at University of Virginia

Edward Scott, who spent the last five years at Morgan, will serve as the deputy athletics director at UVA.

Morgan State Athletics

During his time at Morgan, Edward Scott oversaw the athletic department’s 14 Division I programs with nearly 300 students in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).

David Lance, Contributing Writer

On Monday, the athletic department announced Edward Scott, director of athletics at Morgan, accepted the deputy athletics director position at the University of Virginia.

In October 2016, Scott was named the director of athletics at Morgan State.

Prior to coming to Morgan, Scott had served as an athletics administrator at the University at Albany, University of Louisville, and George Washington and Binghamton universities.

His career spans nearly two decades.

During his time at Morgan, Scott oversaw the athletic department’s 14 Division I programs with nearly 300 students in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).

He helped increase the student-athlete graduation rate by 19 percent, improved the department grade point average to a record setting 3.41 in 2020-21, and spearheaded the grant for the NCAA Accelerating Academic Success Program by securing nearly $900,000 for academic support services.

Scott also secured a $2.7 million dollar donation to reinstate the sport of wrestling for the 2023-24 season, the largest gift in Morgan athletics history.

Moreover, he held a seat on the university President’s cabinet, marking the first time in Morgan’s history an athletic director has held that position.

At the University of Virginia, Scott will replace Ted White, who stepped down in October.

“We are very fortunate to have Dr. Scott join our team,” said Virginia athletics director Carla Williams in a statement published on the school’s athletics website. “He is a highly-respected professional, a committed worker and more importantly, a great person.”

Many of Scott’s colleagues, including Morgan’s senior associate athletic director, Lydell Sargeant, congratulated him on his new position via social media platforms such as Twitter.

“Very excited for my dear friend and mentor. They say ‘Observation is one of the best ways to learn.’ Incredibly grateful to @_EdScott for his leadership, guidance and friendship. Together we were able to build something special and make history. THANK YOU! #FirstClass,” Sergeant said in a Twitter post.

Scott replied to Sargeant, writing “I’m fortunate that you believed in my vision and were willing to join our team! You’ve made a better AD and our program is infinitely better because of the service you provide the student-athletes, coaches and staff!”

Scott’s successor at Morgan has not been announced yet.