Highlights from Morgan State University’s Pro Day

Morgan and the NFL scout potential players for future add-ons.

Rushaad Hayward, Staff Writer

Morgan State University hosted its annual Pro Day for current football players at Hughes Stadium, but potential players will be able to join the team on Thursday morning.

The Pro Day event included Morgan seniors AJ Agbelese, Damare’ Whitaker, Corey Holmes, Antoine McCray, Matthew Thompson, and Joshua Holley. Joshua Miles, participant in the NFL combine, also was in attendance. The event was also open to other schools like Frostburg State University. Connor Cox was there in attendance for the Bobcats.

The seniors would participate in a series of events for NFL scouts with hopes of being drafted. Some of these events included the vertical jump, bench pressing, and shuttle runs.

The Ravens, Colts, Eagles, Giants, and Redskins were a few of the teams that had scouts at today’s pro day.

Many of the athletes were grateful to be able to showcase their talent in front of these scouts. “This is a dream come true and I’m going to just keep working from here,” said Holley.

Thompson, offensive lineman, recorded the highest number of reps for the bench press at 24. Agbelese recorded the highest vertical jump among the Morgan participants at 34-inches.

Although Miles was a combine participant, his teammates Holmes and Whitaker also had productive 2018 seasons.

Holmes plays wide receiver and is a transfer student from Division I school Notre Dame. At Notre Dame he only recorded a total of 96-yards. He transferred during the 2018 season and finished with 355 total yards and one touchdown this season. However, Holmes didn’t participate in the pro day event.

Whitaker was named to Phil Steele’s Preseason All-MEAC Second Team this season. At his linebacker position he finished his career with the Bears with 64 solo tackles and 2.5 sacks. He had 22 reps on the bench press and a 31-inch vertical as well.

After the session, Whitaker felt he did the best he could do.

“I think I did very well today. I trained the last few months to prepare for this day and after praying about it I left it in God’s hands,” he said.

The participants hope to receive a call in the future from an NFL scout to allow them to continue pursuing their football career at the next level.

And while the NFL came to Morgan in search of new talent, the athletic department will also do their own in-house search for new additions to the team.

The meeting will begin a condensed two-week process for interested students looking to become a member of the team for the 2019-2020.

According to recruiting coordinator, Josh Firm, believes this short undertaking it shows that they are diligent and “one or two surprises that end up being a big time contributor to the team.”

Students will need to provide physicals and transcripts for the meeting that will be held in the University Student Center at 7 a.m.