Morgan State’s football team set to play Norfolk State this Saturday

The Morgan State Bears will face the Norfolk State Spartans this Saturday at 2 p.m. in Norfolk, Va.

Edwin Moore

The Morgan State Bears will try to upset the Norfolk State Spartans on Saturday.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

Nine weeks into their regular season, the Morgan State Bears (0-7) are still looking to earn their first win.

The Bears have an opportunity to get in the win column for the first time this season on Saturday at 2 p.m. when they face the Norfolk State Spartans (5-2) in Price Stadium in Norfolk, Va.

The game will stream live on ESPN+. A live broadcast on 88.9FM can also be listened to.

Morgan lost their homecoming game and third straight Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) matchup this past Saturday, Oct. 23, when they fell to North Carolina Central 28-17.

Meanwhile, Norfolk is on a five-game winning streak and won their first MEAC game of the season so far on Oct. 23 when they defeated the Howard Bison 45-31.

Spartans senior quarterback Juwan Carter completed 26 of 29 passes for 332 yards and threw one touchdown pass in the game against Howard.

Carter has been named MEAC Offensive Player of the Week three times this season.

Morgan graduate quarterback Neil Boudreau said that the Bears will need to slow down Carter to give themselves a chance to win the game.

“Norfolk State has an efficient quarterback,” Boudreau said. “He’s thrown 14 touchdowns and only two interceptions.”

Bears true freshman safety Kaleb Coleman shared similar thoughts.

“Keys to slowing down Norfolk’s offense is going to have to be… containing their quarterback,” Coleman said. “The quarterback is arguably one of the best players in the conference.”

Undoubtedly, Morgan’s defense will need to step up in a major way.

The three past MEAC Offensive Player of the Week awardees – NCCU quarterback Davius Richard, South Carolina State quarterback Corey Fields Jr., and Howard quarterback Quinton Williams – all won the award after facing Morgan.