Morgan State to require COVID-19 vaccinations for fall return, university president says

Morgan joins the list of growing universities in requiring a coronavirus vaccine.

Jordan D. Brown, Features Editor

President David Wilson announced Morgan State University will require students to be fully vaccinated in order to return to campus this fall. In his annual Spring town hall, Wilson discussed the university’s campus reopening plan for the fall, starting with the new requirement for students to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

“I made the decision that we will be requiring vaccinations here on campus across all of our groups of faculty, staff, and students,” Wilson said.

To accommodate everyone in the Morgan community, Wilson noted there will be limited exceptions in the case of students who do not wish to get vaccinated.

“Please understand there will be exceptions for individuals because of religious beliefs who don’t want to get the vaccine and also there will be exceptions based on medical issues as well,” he said. “We are looking at that and have gotten great legal advice along the way.”

The vaccine requirement comes after Morgan announced a weekend vaccination clinic on campus, starting April 30. With the new vaccine requirement and vaccination site, Morgan plans to return to a full face-to-face campus environment with some hybrid instruction for the Fall.

Morgan joins a growing number of universities to require COVID-19 vaccinations in order to return for the fall, including Rutgers University, American University, Morehouse College, Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, and more.