Morgan State moves forward with building new residence hall

Amid rising student enrollment, Morgan announced plans for a 600-bed dorm near the new Thurgood Marshall Hall.

Courtesy of Morgan State University

An artist’s rendition of a new residence hall to be located next to the new Thurgood Marshall dorm.

Jordan D. Brown, Editor-in-Chief

In a late afternoon social media posting, Morgan State University President David Wilson announced plans Friday to open another residence hall on campus, adjacent to the soon-to-open Thurgood Marshall Hall.

According to Wilson’s Twitter post,  the new, as-yet-unnamed dormitory will have over 600 beds and 12 floors. Wilson said the new dorm will open in 2024.

Thurgood Marshall Hall is set to open in early August with 670 beds, a separate dining hall, student lounges and more. With the two new residence halls, Morgan looks to add nearly 1,300 bed spaces for students on campus as student enrollment increases each year. In recent academic years, incoming freshmen have had to be housed temporarily in a number of places, including local hotels.

Last year, the university had 1,700 available beds on-campus. The additional residence halls could combat the continued housing overage Morgan has seen for several years and bring the total number of campus beds to 3,000.