Morgan State’s COVID-19 cases triple on campus with 53 positives

The university closes out the semester with its highest number of COVID-19 cases.

The Spokesman

Morgan State University’s on campus COVID-19 testing results within the last four weeks.

Cayla Cade and Jordan D. Brown

Morgan State University’s highest number of COVID-19 cases doubled last week when the university’s testing system recorded 53 positives.

According to the weekly testing report, 625 tests were administered to 490 students and 135 employees. 

50 students and three employees tested positive between Dec. 12 to Dec. 18. 

The positive cases detected on campus tripled compared to Dec. 5 to Dec. 11 with 17 positives.

However, the number of tests administered increased nearly by 63 percent. In the previous week, only 399 tests were recorded while 625 tests were conducted last week.

Morgan State Uiversity’s on campus COVID-19 testing results between Dec. 12 to Dec. 18. (Courtesy of Anita Hawkins)

President David Wilson addressed the spike in COVID-19 cases at Morgan and across the world in an email to the Morgan community.

Colleges across the country are seeing increased positive cases and are having to cancel events, discontinue in-person instruction and send students home earlier than anticipated,” Wilson wrote, “And while our semester has come to an end, Morgan, too, has not gone unscathed, having experienced spikes in positive cases as revealed by our own university-administered testing.”

Wilson stated the university will monitor the state of the pandemic and implement new requirements before the spring semester begins in January.

Wilson said, “One of the things that can be anticipated will be a requirement for all students returning to campus and moving into University housing to produce a negative COVID test result within 24 hours of moving in. More details will be forthcoming about this and other potential requirements for the spring semester.”

Although classes concluded for the semester, the rise in COVID-19 cases is still affecting different programs at Morgan such as the athletic department.

The women’s basketball game scheduled for Dec. 17 against the University of Kentucky was postponed due to COVID-19 issues in Morgan State’s program.

Edward Scott, director of intercollegiate athletics, declined to share any information on the postponed game.

“We cannot share any further information as it would be a violation of health privacy laws,” Scott said.

On Monday, the athletic department announced the men’s and women’s basketball programs paused all activities until further notice.

“Morgan State men’s basketball and women’s basketball teams will pause all team activities until further notice due to the COVID-19 protocols,” the athletics website stated.

The following games were postponed:

• Men’s basketball vs. James Madison
    • Dec. 21
    • Hill Field House
  • Men’s basketball vs. Penn State Wilkes Barre
    • Dec. 27
    • Hill Field House
  • Women’s basketball vs. University of Pennsylvania
    • Dec. 30
    • Hill Field House

The university testing site is closed until Jan. 6.

When it reopens, COVID-19 testing will be available on Monday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. in the Montebello complex.

To schedule a COVID-19 test, visit the University health portal.