Morgan State transfer bowler flourishes in her role

Sophomore bowler Cheyenne Washington has competed well in her team’s first two tournaments.

Morgan's Bowling Team | Instagram

Cheyenne Washington, pictured in the top far left, was named the MEAC Bowler of the Week on Oct. 19.

Thalya Baptiste, Contributing Writer

Morgan State sophomore Cheyenne Washington, a Pontiac, Mich. native, was signed to Morgan’s bowling team in August.

She transferred to Morgan after attending Prairie View A&M her freshman year. At Prairie View, she had a Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) traditional average of 193, placing her third overall in the conference.

Washington was introduced to bowling at the age of 7 by her grandfather.

She attended Lake Orion High School in Michigan and was nominated for the Detroit Free Press Sports Award from 2018 to 2020.

On Oct. 19, Washington was named the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Bowler of the Week after helping her team accumulate a 7-6 record in the MOTIV Penguin Classic in Youngstown, Ohio.

She placed 17th overall after averaging 192.8 pins in traditional play.

Her coach, Thomas Falbo, describes her as a clutch bowler who has a ‘team first’ mentality and provides her teammates with energy and encouragement when they need it.

“As a player, her ability is growing in front of our eyes,” Falbo said. She has made game winning shots for us in the final frame. She has shown great scoring when she has a great look, but more importantly she is able to show her mental toughness and fill frames when she doesn’t have the best look.”

Morgan junior bowler, Ashanti Fernandes, describes Washington as someone who is easy to get along with.

“She really is a ball of sunshine sometimes,” Fernandes said. “I find it really easy and fun to work with her on and off the lanes.”

Washington, Fernandes, and the rest of the bowling team will be back in action next Saturday at AMF Woodlawn Lanes in Baltimore when they compete in MEAC No. 1 meet.