Morgan’s volleyball team set to face crosstown rival Coppin State Friday night

The Lady Bears look to improve to 2-1 in conference play Friday night as they take on their rival Coppin State.

Byron McFadden - Morgan State Athletics

The Lady Bears look to defeat their crosstown rival Coppin State Friday, Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. in Hughes Stadium.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

Morgan State’s volleyball team (3-13) is facing their crosstown rival Coppin State (7-7) Friday, Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. in Hughes Stadium.

Friday’s night matchup will be the first between the two teams this season.

So far this season, both teams are 1-1 in Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) matchups.

Here are five things to look forward to before the teams face each other.

Freshman outside hitter Madison Grace’s first performace since being named MEAC Volleyball Rookie of the Week for a second time

Grace had 18 kills, two digs, and three blocks in the team’s 3-1 loss to North Carolina Central on Sept. 24. Against South Carolina State, she had 11 kills, two digs, and a block in the team’s 3-0 win on Sept. 26.

How will Gabriela Hiciano perform?

Hiciano had a match-high 11 kills in the team’s win against South Carolina State. Another dominant performance by her is crucial for the team’s chances to win.

Lady Bears have an opportunity to win consecutive matches for the first time this season

The volleyball team has not won back-to-back matches yet this season. A win on Friday would give them their longest win streak of the season.

Morgan seeks revenge

The Lady Bears have not defeated Coppin since Nov. 8, 2019. They were 0-3 against Coppin during the Spring 2021 season.

Morgan needs to be wary of Coppin’s Miajavon Coleman

Miajavon Coleman, senior outside hitter at Coppin, was recently named the MEAC Volleyball Co-Player of the Week. In Coppin’s last match, a 3-2 loss against North Carolina Central, Coleman became the first CSU player to have at least 20 kills and 20 digs in a single match.

She accumulated 24 kills and a career-high 23 digs in the loss.