Morgan’s 2021 homecoming parade and tent city canceled

The homecoming committee canceled this year’s parade and tent city due to Baltimore City COVID-19 guidelines.

Wyman Jones

Morgan’s Homecoming Parade has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to COVID-19.

Sydni Demby, Contributing Writer

Morgan State University’s homecoming committee announced the university will not have a parade or tent city for this year’s homecoming celebration.

The homecoming committee said, “To be in compliance with Baltimore City guidelines regarding COVID-19, we will not have the homecoming parade or tent city. We will be back to our full capacity in 2022. Thank you for understanding as we work to stop the spread. In Morgan Spirit, Homecoming Committee.”

The cancellation comes after Morehouse College, Clark Atlanta University, Howard University, and several other historically black colleges announced they would alter their homecoming plans.

Baltimore City COVID-19 guidelines currently states that all vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a mask indoors in public to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Baltimore is an area substantial or high transmission for COVID-19.

With the cancellation of the parade and tent city for the second consecutive year, the homecoming committee plans for full capacity events to return in 2022.

However, the university’s Campus Activity Board is still advertising upcoming events for students during homecoming week.

The first event will be a kickoff party at the University Student Center patio, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 18. Tickets for homecoming events go on sale this Friday, Sept. 24.