Morgan lifts university mask mandate for fully vaccinated individuals

The university will follow guidance from Baltimore City officials and lift their mask mandate this fall.

Courtesy Image

According to Larry Jones, assistant vice president of public relations and strategic communications, fully vaccinated individuals will not be required to wear masks on campus in the upcoming semester.

Alana Bynes-Richardson, Campus News Editor

Morgan State University will lift their university-wide mask mandate for fully vaccinated individuals as coronavirus restrictions are being lifted across the country.

Larry Jones, assistant vice president of public relations and strategic communications, said fully vaccinated individuals will not be required to wear masks on campus in the upcoming semester.

The decision comes as Baltimore lifts its citywide mask mandate and state of emergency on July 1.

During the summer, those who have access to the campus are still required to wear a mask in all university buildings until further notice.

According to Morgan State President David Wilson’s vaccine requirement announcement, the university planned to continue its mask mandate going into the fall semester.

The announcement stated, “The vaccination requirement will not eliminate or lessen other required health safety measures such as mandatory mask-wearing on campus and social distancing.” 

However, the university is still managing safety measures for the fall semester return.

All students and employees are required to be fully vaccinated by Aug. 1, 2021. However, the date for an individual to receive the first dose will vary depending on the type of vaccination obtained. 

Morgan will continue to offer vaccinations in the University Student Center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Those in the area are encouraged to register on the State’s GoVax site to receive the Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccination.

Wilson announced students can receive vaccination exemptions for religious or medical reasons. The Vaccine Management Team said students must submit exemption requests by July 31 once the process is completed. 

Students with vaccination exemptions or with COVID-related symptoms will be required to test weekly. Employees who are required to test regularly will continue to do so as well.

The Campus Reopening and Readiness/Preparedness Committee will continue to discuss reopening plans for the fall. Given the recent mask protocol developments, COVID-related campus requirements are constantly being adjusted.

“As we begin to assess our vaccination rate percentage and monitor guidance from the CDC, we will modify our requirements accordingly,” stated Kevin Banks, vice president of student affairs.