Construction truck strikes Legacy Bridge, no one injured

Bridge safe for pedestrian traffic, official says

A+section+of+the+Legacy+Bridge+after+it+was+struck+by+a+construction+truck+

Jabray Franklin

A section of the Legacy Bridge after it was struck by a construction truck

Oyin Adedoyin, Editor-In-Chief

A construction truck struck a pedestrian bridge which connects two main portions of campus Thursday.

The Legacy Bridge crosses Hillen Road and connects the main campus to the Graves Business School and the Martin D. Jenkins Behavioral and Social Sciences Center (BSSC). It was struck by a construction truck around noon Thursday, said Larry Jones, the university’s assistant vice president of public relations.

No one was injured, Jones said.

The truck involved in the construction of Tyler Hall struck the bridge and damaged its outer design, said Jones in an email.  Access to the bridge was temporarily blocked as an inspector evaluated the site for structural damage — no damage was found.

The bridge is currently open for pedestrian crossing and has been declared “safe,” according to Jones.

“I have actually walked across it twice already myself,” he said.

The Legacy Bridge is the newest of the university’s three pedestrian bridges. It was unveiled in 2016 with a modern orange and blue design and the words “Morgan State University” in white lettering spanning the face of the bridge.

Construction for Tyler Hall, a new student services building, began last year and is projected to be completed by 2020. Recently announced renovation projects include Hughes Memorial Stadium which began on May 28.