Morgan State University selects its new head men’s basketball coach

Joshua Samspon, Staff Writer

Morgan State University hired former University of Maryland assistant Kevin Broadus as the new head coach for the men’s basketball team on Thursday.

Kevin Broadus will fill the head coaching vacancy for the men after former head coach Todd Bozeman’s contract was not renewed after the 2018-19 season.

Broadus was the men’s assistant coach for the Terrapins for the past two seasons and also coached at Georgetown University for nine years in two different stints. In addition, he coached at Binghamton University for two seasons and led them to the NCAA Tournament during the 2008-2009 season after winning the America East Conference tournament.

Broadus is a renowned recruiter. This served as a reason for Maryland head coach, Mark Turgeon, to hire him.

“Kevin has a strong reputation as a tireless recruiter and is passionate about developing players on and off the court,” Turgeon told the Baltimore Sun when Broadus was initially hired. “He has extensive knowledge and experience as a coach and I am confident his ties to this region will be extremely valuable to our program.”

Edward Scott, director of intercollegiate athletics, said last year during recruiting that they must do a better job of taking care of home and Scott believes Broadus strong relationships in the DMV will be valuable to the Bears basketball program.

“Kevin Broadus embodies all of the characteristics that we desired in the hiring of our next head men’s basketball coach,” said Dr. Scott.

“Throughout his career, Kevin has built a tremendous reputation for his ability to recruit outstanding talent and developing his student-athletes on and off the court. We are excited to welcome Kevin, his wife Belinda and their children to the Morgan family,” Scott added.

Broadus recently recruited three players from the District of Columbia and Virginia, Mahki and Makhel Mitchell from Woodrow Wilson High School and Marcus Dockery from Bishop O’Connell, who all signed to Maryland.

Now after helping lead the Terrapins to the second round of the NCAA tournament, the former Bowie State Bulldog will look to lead and improve the Bears men’s basketball team after having only one season over .500 in the least five seasons.

Morgan will have a press conference on Monday, May 6, 2019, at 11 a.m. in the University Student Center to officially introduce Broadus as the new head coach. The press conference will also be live-streamed on the university’s athletic and main website.