Morgan State University’s Legacy Track Meet returns to Hughes Stadium

After track upgrades, Morgan runners will compete at Hughes Stadium.

Joshua Sampson, Staff Writer

Morgan State University will host the 15th annual Legacy Track Meet at Hughes Stadium this weekend after track conditions prevented the Bears from performing last season due to the track’s unusable conditions.

The event host a competition for current runners and honors past track and field stars who have represented Morgan both nationally and internationally.

Head coach Neville Hodge, class of ‘80, is an eight-time NCAA All-American and former sprinter in the history of Morgan State track and field.

Hodge who also set school records which still stand today in the 100-meter dash (10.10) and the 200-meter dash (20.43) believes this event is a little more significant than others because it is their longevity over a long period of time.

“Our history is really rich so having a legacy going on for 15 years mean a lot not only to me but the people that came before me and the people who are going to come after me,” Hodge said.

This year’s Legacy Meet will honor the MSU track and field classes of 1991-95.

Daijah Davis-Hines is excited to be able to compete in front of the Morgan community.

“Our friends and family get to come here and people from the school actually see us running and not just what they have on the website,” Hines said.

Hodges said it is time for the track team to “show up and show out” to show the faculty, staff, students, and members of the neighborhood that they can produce quality athletes and put on a quality track meet.

The meet will begin on Friday, April 19 at 12:00 p.m. with the decathlon, heptathlon, the men’s and women’s javelin and hammer throw. The running events start around 3 p.m. with the women’s and men’s steeplechase.

On Saturday, the meet will include the decathlon and heptathlon at 9:30 a.m., followed by the start of the rest of the field events at 10 a.m. with the discus, high jump, pole vault, long jump, shot put and triple jump.

The first running event of the day begins at 10 a.m. with the women’s 400 hurdles.

There will be a senior ceremony to honor members like Hines for their hard work and commitment.

“Recognizing our seniors who really contribute and put in a lot of work to help us to where we are today and doing it at home in front of the students and faculty means so much to them and the parents,” Hodges said.