MSU freshman: accepted, unsettled

Oyin Adedoyin, Staff Writer

Morgan State University accepted its second largest enrollment in Morgan State history leaving many students without beds to sleep in on campus.

President Wilson announced via twitter that,”Morgan State has experienced a 20 percent increase in freshman enrollment over the past two years. This year alone, with almost 1400 freshmen were accepted.”

Plans to build new residence halls are in the works. In the meantime, some freshmen are being housed in nearby hotels. In Blount Towers there are three residents to a room instead of two in an attempt to accommodate more students.

“Even though I applied early enough, it was a last-minute housing thing,” says Hope Egie, a freshman Business Administration major staying in the Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys.

“They said I should only be there [Radisson Hotel] at a max of two months so hopefully it’s within the two months because if not then I don’t know what to do,” said Egie.

According to Egie, there is a shuttle that transports her along with other freshmen being housed at Radisson to and from Morgan. For those who managed to get housing on campus, the situation is a little different.

Tatiyanah Doe, a freshman nursing major, is currently sleeping on a cot in Blount Towers with two other roommates.

“I actually got my housing the day before move-in day but before that they did send me an e-mail saying that I would have three roommates and they’d take money off of my tuition for housing,” said Doe.

“I know some people that had cots, now have beds,” she explains. “I haven’t heard anything about me getting a bed yet.”

Doe “expects to receive a bed soon” so she “[doesn’t] have to be so low to the ground.”

But her roommate, Valencia Harris, is too close to the ceiling.

“To get onto my bed, I have to step onto a chair, step onto the table, climb up [the end rails] and then I just plop down for the night,” said Harris.

The makeshift bunkbeds are two individual beds stacked up on top of one another without a ladder.

Morgan plans to renovate the Thurgood Marshall Apartments in the future, but for students like Egie and Doe, those new housing developments cannot come soon enough.