Morgan students walk in unison

Firdausa Stover and Diamond Durant

Morgan State students kicked off the semester Sunday evening with a prayer walk on campus led by student leaders and a variety of student organizations. The walk began at the University’s Student Center and led up to the academic quad on the steps of Holmes.

“There needs to be a bigger presence of God [on] Morgan’s campus,” said in a tweet from Stephen Thompson Jr., a junior majoring in Computer Science, about the need of God’s presence on Morgan’s campus.

“[I am] Most definitely dedicated to expanding it,” he added.

“I really got this idea by just looking around me seeing the skills I had and what I was raised around, and how can I use what I’ve learned and what I believe in to impact my campus,” said Thompson.

Thompson began to organize his Campus Unity Prayer Walk with the collaboration of over 25 organizations on campus such as the National Council of Negro Women, Collegiate 100, Female United to Uplift Reshape and Educate, Strong Men Overcoming Obstacles Through Hard Work, SGA members, and more.

“I think the purpose is really unity. While, yes we’re praying that’s a religious thing but it’s really campus unity.”

Student leaders such as Miss Morgan State Brittney Dorsey and SGA President Kenold Pierre, were in attendance as they and others began to lead students with their own personal prayers.

Messages throughout the prayer included academic success, positive relationships, love, unity, and progress. Students joined in harmony by singing songs such as ‘How Great Is Our God’ and ‘You Are Worthy to Be Praised.’

“Other than being Mr. Fam and representing my org I was really happy to see that this event was even happening. I always wanted more spirituality on campus, more unity on campus, less violence, less separation,” said Onye Wolf, Mr. Fashion at Morgan.

“This event went really well. I’m glad at how many students came out and I hope they have it again next year,” said Makiah Addison, Miss A.B.C.

All faiths were welcomed to the Campus Unity Prayer Walk and as a result many students used #MSUPray to document the large turnout via social media.