President Wilson informs students of tuition increase

On Monday morning, President David Wilson sent school-wide notice alerting students of the increased tuition costs that will be effective in the upcoming 2018-2019 academic school year. Tuition will increase by 2 percent for Maryland resident undergraduates and by 5 percent for graduate students.

Wilson notes that tuition for MSU students is still relatively low compared to other 4-year institutions.

“Even with these modest increases, the cost of attending Morgan still is the second lowest among the public four-year institutions in the state when comparing tuition and fees for both resident and non-resident students…the fourth lowest among the public 4-year institutions in the state when comparing tuition, fees, room and board…the sixth lowest among the public four-year institutions in the state when comparing graduate rates,” he says.

The board of regents approved the tuition increase back in May. They used their time to ensure that the increase in tuition was as little as possible.

According to Wilson, MSU received $675,000 in funding from the state in order to “talk the governor down from a 5 percent [increase] to 2 percent.”

His priority is ensuring that MSU continues to be one of the most affordable universities in the state. Regardless of the cost of living in Maryland, students should still be able to afford their education.

“Morgan percentage wise reinvests more in our students in financial aid than any other public university in the state of Maryland,” said Wilson. “We are investing 20 percent back into our students.”

This means that for students who require additional support paying tuition, MSU offers Institutional Aid, first come first serve, based on need on the school website.

Although, tuition for the 2018-2019 academic school year is $140 more than last year, for students with full and partial scholarships, MSU will continue to honor the amount awarded.