Do’s and Don’ts for Morgan State’s homecoming

The Spokesman created a list of advice with tips on navigating this year’s homecoming.

Jordan D. Brown

Get ready for the 2022 Morgan State University homecoming week!

Alex Ederson, Contributing Writer

Morgan State University’s homecoming celebration is going “Back to Basics” as the homecoming parade and more yearly traditions return.

Homecoming “155,” celebrating 155 years since the university’s establishment in 1867, will last from Oct. 1 to 9 and bring excitement to the Morgan community.

Whether it is your first homecoming or fourth, here are some Do’s and Don’ts to help you through this exciting time.

Morgan State University homecoming 2022 (Morgan State University)

DO:

Enjoy homecoming festivities

Morgan will kick off nine days of homecoming festivities on Oct. 1 with Bear Family Day. Due to inclement weather, the “Pre-Game with the President” event was canceled, but the football game against Virginia University-Lynchburg is set for 12 p.m.

Some of the highlights of the week are:

• Mister and Miss Morgan State University Coronation and Ball
    • Oct. 3 at 7 p.m. in the University Student Center, Calvin and Tina Tyler Ballroom
  • Homecoming Concert with Moneybagg Yo, Nardo Wick, and Glorilla
    • Oct. 5 at 8 p.m. at Hill Field House
  • “Bearnik,” a 2000’s themed Silent headphone party
    • Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. in the University Student Center, Calvin and Tina Tyler Ballroom
  • Pep Rally
    • Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. at Hughes Memorial Stadium
  • Vendor Village
    • Oct. 8 at 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Morgan Commons

Be Safe

Safety issues in the weeks leading up to homecoming have put the entire Morgan community on high alert. The university police department (MSUPD) will be present as crowds will range in the thousands, anticipating the return of the annual homecoming parade and Tent City.

There will be a number of safety measures and protocols put into place for homecoming, according to Larry Jones, assistant vice president of public relations and strategic communications.

Show your BEAR Pride

This year, the theme for homecoming week is “Back to Basics.” There will be themed events going on throughout the week. Stay on theme and look your best! These include:

• Tye-Dye Fest, hosted by the Office of Student Life and Development
    • Oct. 6 at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the University Student Center patio
  • Pep Rally
  • MSUAA Homecoming Blue and Orange Extravaganza
    • Oct. 8 at 9 p.m. at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum.

Attend the parade and football game on Oct. 8

The tradition of homecoming is centered around these two events, the culmination of a week of activities.

Last year, the homecoming parade was canceled due to COVID-19 protocols. The parade will begin at 8 a.m near the Alameda Shopping Center, continuing to Hillen Road, and end on East Coldspring Lane.

The football game will kick off at 1 p.m. as the Bears face the Norfolk State Spartans.

Be respectful of your surroundings

Respect is one of Morgan’s core values and that is extended to the environment and surrounding communities.

Be sure to clean up after yourself and treat the area with respect as alumni, students and community members look to enjoy the week of festivities.

DON’T:

Engage in illicit activities

If you see something that would be considered illicit activity, call MSUPD at 443-885-3103.

It is against campus policy to smoke any substance on campus property and doing so can lead to removal from campus events.

Stay on campus late

All campus activities on the final day of homecoming will end at 7 p.m and campus will close at 9 p.m. “Campus will be closed at 9 p.m. as far as for activities and amplified sound and things of that nature,” Natasha Lewis-Williams, executive director of the Student Center and associate vice president of student affairs said.

Forget your BEAR card

If you forget this form of identification, it can lead to missing out on exclusive discounts and opportunities for Morgan students, faculty, and staff.

Be late to the homecoming tailgate

There is limited parking for the tailgate event, starting at 7 a.m. Make sure to arrive early to get a hold of the best tailgating zone.

Tailgating will begin at 7 a.m on Oct. 8 and will end at 7 p.m.

Tailgate in unauthorized zones

It is prohibited to tailgate in the Northwood Commons shopping center, according to the Morgan State homecoming website.

Morgan has specified areas to tailgate at:

• Carl J. Murphy Fine Arts Center – Lot X and Lot Y
  • Martin D. Jenkins Hall – Lot BSSC
  • Hughes Memorial Stadium – Lot L