David E. Talbert set to deliver Spring 2022 commencement speech

The award-winning playwright and 1989 alumnus will deliver the commencement speech at Morgan State this spring.

Morgan alum and producer of “Almost Christmas” David Talbert (center) along with campus president David Wilson (left) and Kweisi Mfume (right) at halftime of the 2016 homecoming football game.

Thalya Baptiste, Staff Writer

Morgan State University alumnus David E. Talbert will deliver the commencement speech at the university’s 145th commencement ceremony.

The award-winning playwright, author and filmmaker will deliver his speech to over 900 graduates on May 21 at the Hughes Memorial Stadium.

Talbert received his bachelor’s degree from Morgan in 1989 and went on to study film at New York University.

He is a 24-time NAACP Image Award nominee and has received several awards throughout his career such as the NAACP Trailblazer Award and the New York Literary Award for Best Playwright of the Year with his musical, Love in the Nick of Tyme

Netflix’s first original live-action musical, Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey, was directed and produced by Talbert. The successful film received 10 NAACP Image Award nominations.

In addition to his work in theater, Talbert is also the author of three novels, Baggage Claim (2003), Love on the Dotted Line (2005), and Love Don’t Live Here No More: Book of Doggy Tales (2006), written in collaboration with Snoop Dogg. 

In the university announcement, Talbert said, “I’m honored to share my journey with my alma mater’s next generation of innovators and influencers as the commencement speaker for Morgan State University’s 2022 graduation.”

University President David Wilson was delighted to announce Talbert’s return to the university for the commencement.

“We welcome David back home to his beloved alma mater and look forward to him delivering the inspiration for the Class of 2022, in an authentic and meaningful way that will certainly resonate with our graduates,” Wilson said in a university announcement.

Throughout his career, Talbert stayed connected with Morgan by serving as a guest lecturer for the Screenwriting and Animation Program (SWAN.)

The undergraduate commencement ceremony begins at 9:30 a.m. on May 21.