Morgan State planning to fully reopen campus this summer

According to Farin Kamangar, interim assistant vice president for research, the search committee will make their final recommendations to President Wilson by July 28.

Brianna Taylor, Managing Editor

President David Wilson dropped an unexpected statement Wednesday afternoon that introduced the preparation of a fully reopened campus by this summer. 

But what normally ends with a signature and a sign-off from Wilson led into a step-by-step announcement with several budding developments for the year including the preparation for in-person graduation for spring 2021 graduates, fall 2020 graduates and spring 2020 graduates. He also said that 6,000 students will be awarded financial aid this year with the help of billionaire MacKenzie Scott.

“Stay safe and optimistically, I will see many of you in Hughes Stadium in May,” Wilson said in a statement addressed to the entire community. “It is a new year, and with it comes, the promise of new opportunities.”

However, the biggest announcement is that Morgan is set to work with the state of Maryland to build a vaccination site near campus and with the help of nursing students, Morgan is interested in administering the COVID-19 vaccine.

Wilson concluded his lengthy statement inviting the community to his annual spring town hall meeting, where he said he’s prepared to share all of the university’s full reopening plans.

“Of course, we remain mindful of the wellness and safety of our entire campus community and our return to Fair Morgan will be contingent on vaccinations having reached herd immunity—the prospects of which are indeed promising,” Wilson said.