‘Wellness days’ substitute Spring Break in unprecedented school year

The rest days are spaced throughout March and April to discourage travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jaina Mosely-Lawson and Oyin Adedoyin

Morgan State University is implementing five reading and wellness days throughout the semester in lieu of spring break, according to a university announcement.  

There will be no class instruction on Monday, March 1, Tuesday, March 9Wednesday, March 24, Thursday, April 1, and Friday, April 9. Students and faculty are encouraged to “rejuvenate, relax and rest” on these select daysUniversity administrators also hope that the fragmented wellness day schedule will prevent students from traveling and risking their safety as new strains of the coronavirus continue spreading throughout the country.    

“I am pleased that Morgan is implementing this new and innovative approach to replicate the benefits of Spring Break without compromising the health and safety of our Morgan Bears,” Provost Lesia Crumpton-Young told The Spokesman in a statement 

For students like sophomore finance major, Elan Jones who took economics and accounting classes last semester and described online-learning as “stressful,” the rest days should provide some much-needed respite.   

“Last semester was very stressful for me because I had to take classes like accounting and Econ online instead of in person.”   

Other universities across the country are also utilizing wellness days. Morgan joins the likes of Harvard, Duke, Cornell and more that have implemented the program with similar goals. 

“I am pleased that Morgan is implementing this new and innovative approach to replicate the benefits of Spring Break without compromising the health and safety of our Morgan Bears” Crumpton-Young said