Women’s basketball season set to begin later this month

Former+guard+Chelsea+Mitchell+eyes+the+basket.+

Jordan D. Brown

Former guard Chelsea Mitchell eyes the basket.

Tariq Turner, Sports Editor

After Morgan State’s women’s basketball team’s quest to win a conference championship came to an abrupt halt in March, the team is set to begin its new season in a face-off with the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) on Nov. 25 at 3 p.m. in the Hill Field House.

The last time the Lady Bears competed on the hardwood, they earned a one-point, nail-biting victory on Mar. 12. against Delaware State, head coach Edward Davis Jr.’s former team. The team was scheduled to advance to the semifinals of the 2020 Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference Tournament (MEAC), but it was canceled due to the coronavirus.

“Ever since March, everything has been a big question mark,” said assistant coach Danielle Robinson.

Robinson said there has been uncertainty about the upcoming season for several months. But despite doubts about the future, the team has been doing its best to prepare.

“We’re doing what we can to stay ready so we don’t have to get ready,” she said.

But senior guard Sydney Searcy, a Florida native, said the pandemic has impacted some of the player’s ability to train during the offseason and as a result, the team had a lot of work to do to prepare for a new season.

“Some of us came back rusty because we weren’t able to get up shots and get in the gym whenever we were back home,” she said.

Searcy, who is among the 300 students that reside on campus, said that practices have felt different this season, but not because of the pandemic. She said this year the team has a complete roster of players able to compete.

With more players and time away from the competition, the Lady Bears have a new attitude for the game and one another in the upcoming season.

“I think our chemistry this year has definitely improved,” she said. “There’s no drama and everybody seems like they’re connected for the most part.”

The Lady Bears are projected to finish 2nd in the MEAC North Division Preseason Poll, according to an October press release from the Morgan State Athletic Department.

“It shows that we’re respected within our conference,” said guard Ja’Niah Henson. “However we’re looking to come out on top and defy all odds this season.”

The Lady Bears will face UMBC on Nov. 25 at 3 p.m. in the Hill Field House.

“This year everybody has their eyes on us,” Searcy said. “We want to win the MEAC and when we do, just know we worked hard for it.”