Morgan State University shifts to fully remote instruction this fall

New scientific data and increase in COVID-19 cases locally forces the university to change course of direction for upcoming semester

Aziah Siid, Campus News Editor

Morgan State University announced the altered reopening plans for the fall semester on Tuesday.

New scientific data on the requirements for testing frequency, increase in positive COVID-19 cases locally, and the advice of a variety of healthcare professionals shifted Morgan to remote-only instruction, according to a university press release

College students would have to be tested every two to three days for institutions to safely reopen, according to a Yale University study. The research played a key role in the university’s decision to alter the direction for the fall semester. 

Along with new research, the uptick in cases in Baltimore City over the last month led campus leadership to revisit the conversation about how to have a successful semester without compromising the health of the Morgan community. 

According to the Bloomberg School of Public Health, in a 1 month average, Baltimore City has seen a 99.4 percent increase in new cases. 

“The combination of these factors further heightened concerns surrounding the universities capacity to safeguard the campus community and mitigate community spread of the novel coronavirus,” the university press release said.  

After careful consideration by the Board of Regents, it was decided that it is in the best interest of the university financially and methodically to have all classes be held online. While all classes will be taught online, the campus will remain open with limitations. 

“Some housing will be made available to select students from predetermined priority groups and/or those facing extenuating circumstances,” the press release said.