Morgan president wishes Baltimore mayor a ‘speedy recovery’

President David Wilson hopes Morgan alumna remains in ‘good spirits’ in spite of health complications.

Penelope Blackwell, Editor-in-Chief

Morgan State University President David Wilson wished Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh a speedy recovery Monday after she announced that she would take an indefinite leave of absence to deal with health issues.

Pugh was hospitalized last month at Johns Hopkins Hospital with pneumonia.

“I know the honorable Mayor Catherine Pugh has had some issues with her health,” said Wilson, in an interview with The MSU Spokesman. “I wish her well in terms of recovering and being in good spirits.”

Pugh’s leave of absence comes amid questions about her reported failure to report more than $600,000 in income from a children’s book she wrote.

While a member of the University of Maryland Medical System board, Pugh reportedly made $500,000 from UMMS, selling copies of “Healthy Holly,” a book aimed at promoting healthy habits in children.

The Baltimore Sun reported Monday that Pugh also received more than $100,000 from Kaiser Permanente, a health care insurer, during a time when she and other city officials were deciding to award a contract to provide health insurance to city employees.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan formally asked the state prosecutor to begin a criminal investigation of the accusations against Pugh.

Pugh, a former state senator, stepped down last month from the UMMS board after serving 18 years. But Hogan expressed concern and insisted Emmet Davitt, the state’s prosecutor, lead the investigation on the mayor.

Pugh was scheduled to meet with Morgan students at City Hall on April 5, but all of her public appearances have been canceled.

“On behalf of the Morgan community and as an alumna of the university, we wish her a speedy recovery,” Wilson said.