Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings will deliver Morgan’s spring commencement address

Firdausa Stover, Managing Editor

On Thursday, Morgan State University announced Congressman Elijah E. Cummings will serve as the keynote speaker for the 2019 spring commencement ceremony.

As a Baltimore-native and resident, Cummings is largely associated with Morgan by serving as a member of its Board of Regents. And back in 2006, he served as the commencement speaker and received an honorary Doctor of Laws from the university under the leadership of Earl S. Richardson.

“It is a great honor to have Congressman Cummings, an iconic civic leader of our time, share his perspective, experience and wisdom with our graduates on this grand occasion,” said President David Wilson.

“Having an opportunity to work closely with Congressman Cummings in his invaluable service to our Board of Regents, and witnessing his contributions to this nation and his community, I am certain there is not a voice that could make a greater impact on students as they embark on the next stage of their journey,” Wilson added.

The Congressman represents Maryland Seventh Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives. He is the chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, and is also a senior member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.

Cummings also serves on both the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation and the Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials.

William C. Rhoden will be present to receive an honorary degree as a distinguished sports journalist and Morgan alum of 1973.

Rhoden earned a Bachelor of Science in Speech Communication from the university, and is a former football player for the Bears.

Upon graduation, he worked for the Baltimore Afro-American as the sports editor. He went on to work for a variety of publications such as the Baltimore Sun, Ebony Magazine, and the New York Times.

Rhodes is also a published author of  “Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete,”and holds the editor-at-large title for ESPN’s The Undefeated.

He is also known for his fellowship program, the Rhoden Fellowship, which is intended to assist upcoming African-American Journalists from Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

The 143rd spring commencement ceremony will be held on May 18, 2019, at 10 a.m. in Hughes Stadium.