The Spokesman

Class of 1969 donates $29,500 to MSU Food Resource Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

Will Robinson

Will Robinson

Will Robinson

NaTavia Williams, Contributing Writer

On Friday, the Morgan community congregated for the grand opening of the Food Resource Center (FRC) located in room 213 in the Earl Graves School of Business Management.  The initial idea was proposed last October by Samone Crews, the 2018 Senior Class Senator.

Crews explained “ It all really started my freshman year when my friend transferred from Clark Atlanta University. During that time, she didn’t have a meal plan because she was still getting her financial situation fixed.”

Unfortunately, it is not a rarity for collegiate students to experience food insecurities.  Vice President of Student Affairs Kevin Banks created a committee to help shape the project.

In his opening remarks Banks stated “Morganites do for each other.”

This statement rang true when Jesse Bennett a member of the Morgan State University class of 1969 donated a $29,500 check on behalf of his class to the FRC. This was in combination with the $500 donation from President Wilson.

Dr. Wilson is personally connected to this cause because he experienced food insecurity during his undergraduate matriculation.

“There were so many days where I was so hungry I could not even think about studying,” Wilson admitted.

Dr. Wilson feels that the Food Resource Center has a pivotal role in student success here at Morgan State University.

The goal of the center is not only to provide food to students, but to educate the Morgan community on healthy affordable eating habits.

There are three preliminary steps necessary prior to receiving food: check in, complete a menu request form, and display a BearCard.

The Food Resource Center will have a variety of options including beans, canned vegetables, cereal, soups, and snacks.