Midterm Elections prompted Maryland’s highest rate of registered voters

Olafimihan Oshin, Staff Writer

Today, millions of registered voters will cast their votes and decide the fates of incumbents and their challengers in the general midterm elections in the state of Maryland.

According to data from the elections board, 3.9 million Marylanders as of Sept. 30 have registered to vote in this year’s midterm elections, which is near an all-time high for the state.

Every major position is up for grabs including the attorney general race where Democratic incumbent Brian Frosh is trying to hold off Republican challenger, Craig Wolf.

The Senate race where longterm Democratic Senator Ben Cardin is facing challenger Tony Campbell from the Republican party, also a professor at Towson University.

The competition is tight in Maryland with the congressional district’s race considering all eight seats are up for grabs.

Also, a tight race is brewing up in the Maryland State Assembly where a total of 188 seats, 47 in the Senate and 141 in the House of Delegates, are all obtainable in the election. Including voter ballots questions that address casino revenues going into school funds and same-day voter registrations on Election Day.

The most important race in the State is the battle between Republican incumbent Larry Hogan and Democratic challenger Ben Jealous for the Governor’s race.

This could end up being historic in two ways. Hogan is looking to become the first Republican in over a century to have a second term in office, while former NAACP President, Ben Jealous, is looking to become the state’s first African American governor.

Even without a major election, the city of Baltimore has plenty of new policies to vote for today. Baltimore citizens are heading to the polls to vote on the For the Charter Amendment.

The amendment is for Baltimore to protect their water and sewer systems from being sold off or privatized.  Another question on the polls is felons who are awaiting trial not being able to vote during elections due to rights being taken away.

“I expected to be a very high turn tomorrow,” said Christopher Irvin of Returning Citizens.

“We have a lot of candidates running for anything. Many to choose from.”

According to the United States Election Project, 2014 had a low voter turnout with 44.7 percent of registered voters, but the state is seeing higher numbers in this year’s elections.