Black Girls Vote establish its first collegiate chapter at Morgan State University

Black Girls Vote aims to “engage, educate, and empower” students through a social action event on Oct.25.

Brianna Taylor and NaTavia Williams

Morgan State University is home to the first collegiate chapter of Black Girls Vote (BGV), after its establishment on Feb.6. BGV is a nonprofit organization that focuses on spreading awareness to African Americans about their right to vote.

President Miasya Parker of BGV at Morgan, explained that providing education of voting on campus through events, registration tables and pamphlets is necessary for change within local politics.

“There’re policies that get passed that we have a say in. [Black Girls Vote] wants to make sure that people understand that the midterms affect you more than the presidential elections.”

Although midterm voting registration closed on Oct. 16, early voting beings Oct. 25 and will last until Nov. 1, while poll voting will take place on Nov. 6 at local polling locations.

Baltimore City residents will vote at the League of Disabilities on East Cold Spring Lane and county residents can vote at Towson University.

Out-of-state students are included in the process through absentee voting. Residence can vote by submitting an absentee ballot, found on vote.org and turning it into a BGV member on Oct. 25 in the academic Quad or the University Student Center.

“[The policies and laws] being passed are going to directly affect us, not only at our matriculation [at Morgan] but throughout life.”

BGV and Tumblr will host a three-part social action event on Oct. 25 that will include a press conference in Morgan’s Academic Quad, a march from the university to the nearby voting poll and an evening gathering in Rawlings Dining Hall at Morgan.

“I’m excited to be able to come and use my gifts to influence others to do positive actions in our
community. I’m blessed and honored to even be invited to the event,” said DJ DavyJ, the talent responsible for playing during the cafe takeover event.

Wilson shared his appreciation via Twitter about the BGV chapter at the university.

“[I’m] Proud of my young ladies at the national treasure, Morgan State University for establishing the first collegiate chapter of Black Girls Vote. I will be joining [BGV] on Oct. 25 (first day of early voting in MD) for a large campus rally followed by a march to the polls to vote.”

When asked about the upcoming event, Miasya Parker responded, “It’s a celebration.”

“[Voting] is something that African Americans weren’t able to do and now that we are able to do it, we’re going to celebrate and be happy that we used our voice and voted.”

Parker also explained that the chapter will continue to register all year long in preparation for the primarily elections.