Recent Morgan graduate will speak at SGJC’s Alumni Brunch

A look into Korey Matthews

Brianna Taylor, Staff Writer

Graduate of the School of Global Journalism and Communications, Korey Matthews, will be the keynote speaker for the 42nd annual Alumni Brunch.  

Korey Matthews, a spring 2018 graduate and multimedia journalism major, is currently an intern for Bloomberg News where he covers politics. 

When asked about his time at Morgan Matthews is nostalgic of the experiences he’s had at the University.  

“Morgan is a really special school. I just really miss the atmosphere of Morgan’s people.” 

Matthews was a staff writer for The MSU Spokesman, he served on the E-Board for the National Association of Black Journalists as well as a volunteer for BearTv.  

“I wasn’t always put together,” said Matthews.  

Freshman year he entered Morgan as undecided, later he declared engineering as his major and described that he was uninvolved on campus.  

It wasn’t until his sophomore year that he started building connections in the communications department and was soon appointed to the SGJC Dean’s Student Advisory Council. 

This past April, Matthews, along with eight other communication majors were given the opportunity to visit Paris. The traveling students were under the direction of Dean Jacqueline Jones, David Marshall and SGJC Artist in Residence Tim Reid. 

“It was my first time out of the country, I really appreciate [Morgan State University] for giving me the opportunity. To be able to see Paris, to see the different sights and work on a documentary that we felt like could have an impact was great,” said Matthews. 

When inquired about the most challenging part of transitioning from the classroom to the professional world, he was adamant about how necessary both accuracy and quality are as a journalist. 

“[At Morgan] I didn’t have to work at the speed as I do now, so I had time to fact check myself. Making sure you can be accurate and truthful, but also get your assignment done on time because it moves quick in the professional world.” 

Matthew’s advice for aspiring journalists, “I still consider myself a young aspiring journalist,” he said jokingly.  

He also stressed the importance of being patient, taking every opportunity and the power of nurturing professional relationships.  

“It can be stressful sometimes to apply for jobs and not get them, that’s life.”  

Matthews expressed the excitement he felt when he was appointed the keynote speaker of the highly anticipated brunch.  

“I was shocked, I just graduated in May. To be able to see the school appreciate my work and share my knowledge on the little bit I’ve gained in the short time I’ve been out of the university is a tremendous honor and a humbling experience.”