What you missed this summer

Penelope Blackwell, Editor in Chief

From tuition increases to a new vice president, June was a busy month for Morgan State University after decisions went in effect while students were away.  

After students began classes on Monday for the fall 2018 semester, they experienced the administration’s firsthand decision for tuition increases and the appointment of a new interim provost and senior vice president.  

MSU president, David Wilson, notified students that they would receive a two percent increase for undergraduate costs and a five percent increase for graduate costs in the 2018-2019 academic school year.

Morgan’s Board of Regents approved the increases back in May, after Gov. Larry Hogan’s recommendation to raise current public institution costs’ in the state of Maryland so future in-state tuition will be held down.

A detailed breakdown of tuition costs was provided on the university’s website.

In addition to executive decisions, Wilson also appointed Anna McPhatter as the interim provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs.

According to Wilson, her appointment aided efforts to “continue momentum here at Morgan in pursuit of the five goals in our strategic plan.” 

McPhatter began her tenure at Morgan in July of 1995 as a professor and chair of the department of Social Work and Mental Health. She oversaw the department as it turned into the School of Social Work. 

Activity during the summer month continued as comedian Dave Chappelle, a native of Silver Spring, for the first time ever endorsed a political candidate at a campaign rally held at Morgan.  

Chappelle offered his support to a former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Ben Jealous, who won the Democratic primaries.  

Jealous will contest against the Republican governor, Hogan, in November during the general election for the governor’s race.  

According to the Baltimore Sun, Hogan is beating Jealous with a 16-point poll lead. 

After these occurrences, Wilson welcomed the Bears’ back to their den on Sunday evening and extended an invitation to the Annual Fall Town Hall meeting. 

“The date and time of the meeting will be sent out within the next few weeks,” he added.