Letter from the Editor: I Chose the HBCU Instead of the Traditional Institution

Korey Matthews, Social Media Editor

Recently, a student asked me what my biggest takeaway from going to Morgan State University was. Without hesitation, I told them that it was the fact that Morgan has people that genuinely want to help you, and see you succeed.

When I first came to Morgan, I did not know what I was going to major in, or what career I wanted to go into. But, I did not even want to attend the school itself.

Originally, I had wanted to go to the University of Maryland, College Park. However, Morgan offered me a scholarship, and it was more financially beneficial for me to come here.

At first, I was honestly frustrated. I was at a school right down the street from my house, and one that was not my first choice. I was positive that I would transfer after a year.

It was a culture shock. I had been at a private, predominately white catholic school in high school, and here I was about to attend a historically black university (HBCU).

Before Morgan, I never heard of HBCUs. I was sure that I would not fit in.

My freshman year, I did not participate in anything on campus. I was not even living on campus at the time. The only thing that I did besides going to class was playing soccer with a group of students on Friday nights.

However, it all changed when I was invited to join an honor society at the end of my freshman year.

After that I decided not to transfer, and one of the people in my honor society told me about summer employment at Morgan with the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) program.

I worked with the program during the summer, and through it was able to meet Tramon Lucas, a journalism student who encouraged me to participate in the journalism department at Morgan. After that, the rest is history.

I would pick up a major in multimedia journalism, and through it, have the opportunity to work for our campus radio station, help produce a documentary, go to Paris, and so much more.

But all of that would not be possible, if not for Tramon reaching out, and helping someone he saw in need.

That is what will always stand out for me about this school. The administrators, professors, and students, who reach out to those that they see who need help, and give them guidance and direction, are who make this school special.

As I enter into the world of being alum of Morgan, I will be forever grateful that Tramon helped me. I hope that I can do the same for someone else one day, and I hope that the students here continue that legacy for years to come.