Scott replaces Spencer as Engineering Dean

Samuel Robinson, Staff Writer

The School of Engineering’s dean, Michael G. Spencer, was replaced  Thursday after holding the position for over a year. Craig Scott, former chair of the Engineering department, will serve as interim dean, effective immediately.

Spencer  declined to comment when reached by the Spokesman.

Scott began serving as interim dean after the announcement was made via faculty meeting.

Scott said the decision to remove Spencer came from University president David Wilson and provost Gloria Gibson.

“It was the decision of the president and the provost to make a change,” Scott said. “I’m not happy about this, but will do my job.”

Scott spoke highly of his former colleague. He said saying that he was a brilliant person whose background and research was a compliment not only to the department but to the university as well.

Scott has been with the department for 27 years. He began as an assistant professor, then became an associate professor before becoming chair of the department of electrical engineering 17 years later.

Scott served as interim dean briefly six months ago after the previous dean, Eugene DeLoatch, retired.

As newly appointed interim-dean, Scott said his main goal is to maintain a place where students will continue to learn in accredited environment.

“The first priority is accreditation, it’s very important that we keep our accreditation,” Scott said. “It’s something that spells out our meaningfulness to all of our constituents. When a student comes here they’re not only paying for an education but an accredited education.”

Moving forward, Scott wants the department to continue thinking strategically. This means managing the department’s resources more efficiently and investing more into students’ training.

Scott also hopes to continue investing more resources into cyber-security. Under his leadership, Scott says the department will be expanded even further than it was before.