Morgan State lecturer arrested after allegedly robbing university student

Mark Steward Brown, a part-time education lecturer, was arrested on April 12 and charged with armed robbery.

CharNae Brown

Morgan State University’s campus.

Jordan D. Brown, Editor in Chief

A Morgan State University education lecturer was arrested on Wednesday after a university student accused him of robbing and pulling a gun on her after a date, according to court documents.

Mark Steward Brown, 45, was charged with armed robbery, second degree assault, handgun on person, handgun in vehicle, and firearm use in a violent crime.

According to court documents, Brown went on a date with one of his students on April 10 at the Hazelwood Inn before ending the night at the student’s home. The student told police that it was their first date.

Once they returned to the home, Brown could not locate his phone, which led to him questioning the student where his phone could be. She told police that did not know where his phone was, but Brown thought differently. He pulled his handgun from his waistband and held it by his side while asking her where his phone was.

After she offered to help Brown find his phone, he took her phone and threatened not to give it back until she returned his phone. While holding the gun in his right hand and her phone in his left, Brown then left her house with her phone in his possession.

The student was able to track the location of her phone with her laptop before receiving a text message stating her phone was found somewhere on Frankford Ave.

She did not report any injuries and told police Brown did not point the gun at her. 

If convicted of armed robbery, Brown could face up to 20 years. 

Case records show he was released from custody on Friday and awaits the preliminary hearing set to take place on May 9.

The university’s office of public relations and communications is not granting interviews regarding this incident, according to Larry Jones, assistant vice president of public relations and strategic communications.

Jones confirmed that the university is aware of the reports against Brown and the matter is under internal investigation.

“As a result of this being a personnel matter, there’s not much else that can be shared at this time,” Jones wrote in an email to the Spokesman.

Brown joined Morgan in January as a contractual, part-time lecturer and taught a doctoral course this semester. 

Jones said Brown’s next scheduled class on Apr. 18 has been canceled. No decision has been made yet regarding his future classes for the remainder of the semester.

Brown was also the principal of Phoenix Academy, an Anne Arundel County public school. However, the academy announced on Thursday that Brown will be away from the school indefinitely.

“I am writing to make you aware that Dr. Mark Brown, principal of Phoenix Academy, will be away from the school indefinitely. While Dr. Brown is away, Phillip Elliott will return to serve as acting principal,” Patrick Cain, director of alternative education at the Phoenix Academy wrote in a school statement.

In terms of Brown’s relationship with the student, Morgan does not have a policy prohibiting consensual relationships between faculty members and students.

Neighboring universities like Towson University and the University of Maryland both have outlined policies prohibiting faculty and students from engaging in consensual relationships.