2023-2024 SGA winners announced

The student government campaign season has ended and the results are in.

Courtesy of Instagram

The newly elected 2023-2024 leaders of Morgan State’s student government association.

The new leaders of Morgan State University’s student government association (SGA) were revealed on Friday after a highly anticipated election campaign season.

Music filled the room as campaign teams and sprinkles of the students came in to watch the election results. 

Jaden Dawson, SGA president, Izahne’ Williams, senior class president, and Micah Caldwell, chief of staff, all took turns in announcing the afternoon’s winners, starting with the sophomore class winners and ending with Mister and Miss Morgan.

SGA Election Results: 

Sophomore Class Senator:

MICHAEL ONIANAH AND CHAMPION OJO

Sophomore Class President and Vice President:

DAVID OSADIAYE AND GRACE OGUNMODEDE

Junior Class Senator:

CHRISTIAN GATLIN

Junior Class President and Vice President:

TAMERA TRIMUEL AND MARKAYLA WILSON

Senior Class Secretary:

AYANA NELSON

Senior Class Treasurer:

JAMAUN TATUM 

Senior Class President and Vice President:

GODLEY PIERRE AND CRAI-SYMONE 

Mister and Miss Sophomore:

JOSEPH KUBISEHIN AND TAMIA LOUISSANT

Mister and Miss Junior:

XAVIER WASHINGTON AND AMORE JOHNSON  

Mister and Miss Senior:

LATRELL STOVALL 

Mister and Miss Morgan State University:

TYLER HAIRSTON AND JADE BERRYMAN 

SGA President and Vice President:

BROOKE FOYLES AND KAYLA CLARK 

In the middle of the program, Tekeya Peterson, assistant director of student life and development, gave some words of encouragement to all of the candidates. 

She spoke about a title being nothing without efforts behind it and that this experience should be a stepping stone instead of a hindrance.

“Dont settle in a place of darkness just because you might not get the position you want,” Peterson said. 

Peterson said, “You’ve all done an amazing job, and we want you guys to keep this momentum up.” 

The 2023-2024 SGA president and vice president elects Brooke Foyles and Kayla Clark wept tears of joy as the crowd screamed and the duo walked onto the stage for their speech. 

Foyles said, Thank you to my sisters. I want to thank my family and the CARE team.” 

Clark commended Adrian Phillips and Tyrane Graham, SGA president and vice president candidates, for their campaigning efforts. 

Michael Onianah, sophomore class senator-elect, was ecstatic after his big win.  

Onianah said, “This is just the beginning of the work to be honest, winning is just the easy part.”

Only 12 percent of the student body voted

While students came out to see the election results revealed in the University Student Center theater, voter participation was quite low. 

Morgan has 7,609 undergraduate students and out of those students only 941 students cast their vote in this year’s election.  

With only 12 percent of the student body voting for their university’s student leaders, the SGA’s next hard question should be how to drive student engagement more in campus elections.

2023-2024 SGA Election Results.