Water main break shuts down water at dorms and dining areas

The campus is experiencing a temporary water shut off due to a water main break.

Elijah Pittman, Staff Writer

Update: The water shut off has been lifted as of 3:30 p.m., according to Kim McCalla, associate vice president of Facilities Design and Construction.

“The University Student center has been reopened and the water has been restored in that facility. Water has also been Blount and Rawlings Halls, however, it may take additional time for the water pressure in these buildings to be fully restored,” McCalla wrote in a campus wide email.

A water main break flooded the southern part of campus between the Hill Field House, tennis courts, and the new residence hall late Sunday night.

It shut down the University Student Center, and water at Blount Towers and Rawlings Halls.  

“Please be advised that a water main break has occurred on campus near the tennis court and between Hill Field House and the new residence hall construction site,” said Kim I. McCalla, associate vice president of Facilities Design and Construction in an email sent to students. 

The administration also advised students to exercise caution when traveling to classes and moving around the area of the break. The university notice informed them that Blount Towers and Rawlings Hall would be without water until the break is repaired. 

“In addition, the university will also need to shut down the University Student Center while this matter is being addressed…from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.,” said McCalla. 

Chick-fil-A and the student center Canteen will be closed as a result from 12 to 3 p.m.

Larry Jones, assistant vice president of public relations and strategic communications, said “Please be advised that the water is no longer gushing. That gushing was done purposefully to release water pressure and has since been concluded. The repairs to the break, however, continue,” in an email to the Spokesman.

Thurgood Marshall Hall was also without water as well between 12 to 2 p.m., according to Aunya Brown, the resident director of Thurgood Marshall, in an email sent to students at 11:55 am. At 12:49 p.m., however, Brown updated students informing them that the water would not be turned off.

Sunday night around 11 p.m., many students noticed the water main break and posted videos of it to social media. 

Although Morgan State University Police Department (MSUPD), the Baltimore City Fire Department, and the Physical Plant staff were notified, no response to the emergency was provided.