Students learn to balance academics and extracurriculars

With the stress of college courses and pressures from extracurriculars, students find outlets that help them decompress. 

Courtesy of Morgan State University

Morgan State University students continue learn how to juggle on and off-campus responsibilities.

Jah’I Selassie, Staff Writer

Many students at Morgan State University are members of fraternities, sororities, social fellowship organizations, academic clubs, and numerous others.

Grace Dumas, a junior psychology major and criminal justice minor, said that being a full-time student and part-time employee has its challenges and requires high time management skills.

Dumas a member of the Campus Activities Board, the MSU Chapter of The National Council of Negro Women, and the Psychological Society, said she sometimes feels overwhelmed by her academic, social, and work schedules.

“I’m taking six classes right now…Honestly, I cry to my mom sometimes or I like to express my feelings when I’m stressed out and she encourages me and uplifts my spirits and then I get back to work after that,” Dumas said. 

According to the University of Buffalo’s School of Social Work, a strong worth ethic and an emotional support system can make a significant difference in the success of college students.

Dumas plans her weeks using a digital calendar and sets reminders for upcoming events that her organizations hold. Saturdays are her rest days.

“I write it [my schedule] down, and I set reminders to my phone as well. So I’m able to look at it whether it be on my phone or physically written down. I’m able to know my week. I even go down to the time of the day,” she said.

Ronald White, a sophomore computer science major, learned to keep track of his assignments and student organization events through trial and error.

White is the secretary for S.M.O.O.T.H (Strong Men Overcoming Obstacles Through Hard Work) and is a member of the Caribbean Students Association, and the Latin Students Association.

“Being a student leader, I do try to balance all of my work… I was kind of getting behind [on my assignments], a lot of my assignments would be due at 11:59 and I would do them at 11, last minute,” he said.

White said that he feels that he does not have much free time. But when he does, he enjoys working out, playing video games, and eating. 

“When I become overwhelmed I pretty much take a step back from my organizations,” White explained.

Jade Harrio, a junior architecture environmental design major, believes that while campus involvement can be tiring, students must gain experience working with others.

Harrio is a cheerleader for the university, serves as the secretary for the MSU section of the American Institute of Architecture Students, and is the event coordinator for Black Girls Vote.

“[Being a member of multiple student organizations has taught me] Time management and functional abilities, said Harrio, “It teaches you how to interact with other people from different backgrounds. Because, people in college, we’re not all from the same place and we don’t all operate the same.”

She said participating in student organizations has many benefits, and is the best way to understand the atmosphere of MSU’s campus.

“You’re not really going to see how students interact and things like that if you just attend parties, that’s not a real way to get to know each other…joining student organizations keeps you well rounded,” Harrio said.

Students can gain social and professional skills by participating in Morgan’s many student organizations. Campus life is filled with opportunities for new experiences.