Morgan set to begin spring semester in-person as scheduled

The university will return to in person instruction on Jan. 24 as planned.

Jordan D. Brown

Morgan State University will begin the spring semester on Jan. 24 with in-person instruction.

Jah'I Selassie, Staff Writer

Morgan State University’s spring semester will begin with in-person instruction as previously scheduled on Jan. 24, according to President David Wilson.

Wilson addressed the university’s planned course of action for the upcoming spring semester in an email on Thursday. His email included several new guidelines that the university will follow.

“To achieve this [reopening of campus], we are taking all necessary precautions to better protect our campus environment and enhance our overall health safety”, Wilson wrote.

The following protocols were implemented for employees and students this upcoming semester:

• Negative COVID-19 tests required

• Starting Jan. 10, faculty, staff and students are required to submit a negative COVID-19 test to the university prior to returning to campus.
    • Students must submit their results to the University Health Center and employees must submit their results to Human Resources online 
    • New and returning students planning to move into Morgan-sponsored housing must submit a negative COVID-19 test result 24-72 hours prior their return.
  • University vaccine requirement

• If not already, all students and employees must get vaccinated or receive an exemption. Individuals must be fully vaccinated by Feb. 18 or receive an exemption by Jan. 14.
    • COVID-19 booster shots are encouraged, but not required for the Morgan community.
  • Campus-wide mask mandate

• Students, staff, and visitors must continue to wear masks on campus regardless of vaccination status while indoors. KN95 masks are recommended.
  • On-Campus testing expanded

• On-campus testing will continue to be available to the Morgan community. Testing days have been extended from two days per week to four days per week.
    • Students and staff with vaccination exemptions are still required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing, failure to comply will result in disciplinary action.
  • COVID-19 quarantine restrictions

• Students that test positive for COVID-19 should not come to campus and are expected to isolate and quarantine in accordance with CDC guidelines.
    • Students and employees are encouraged to participate in daily COVID-19 screening questions using the GatherSmart app.

Wilson noted although most courses are expected to occur in-person, a portion of the classes will offer the Morgan Flex option that will allow students to attend class virtually.

Wilson wrote, “To-date, 85% of classrooms that will be in use are technologically equipped for remote or synchronous instruction. Please refer to the course schedule to make sure you know which classes are being offered in one of these modalities.”

He closed the university-wide announcement by encouraging the Morgan community to practice safety protocols as the semester approaches.

“As Morganites we are bound to a community responsibility that aims to ensure the well-being and success of the University and all of the people who comprise it.” Wilson said, “By doing your individual part, our entire campus community will be better served.”