Full service Chick-fil-A set to open Nov. 15

The popular food franchise returns to the University Student Center with a new location and full service menu.

Cayla Cade

Opening Nov. 15, Chick-fil-A will return to the University Student Center with a new location and full menu.

Cayla Cade, Contributing Writer

Fast food restaurant Chick-fil-A is making a return to Morgan State University’s campus on Monday in the University Student Center. 

Previously located in the Canteen, Chick-fil-A is replacing the Auntie Anne’s that was once found in the Student Center. 

Ron Stevenson, interim director of business and auxiliary services, said several factors played a role in the expansion of Chick-Fil-A.

Stevenson said, “The decision was made based on the RFP (Request for Proposal) that was created for the new dining services operation.” 

The RFP is a business document that reports a project, describes it and solicits bids from qualified contractors to complete it. 

There was a survey conducted by a consultant that included multiple requests to expand Chick-fil-A into a full service restaurant. The fast food restaurant’s full service includes a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. 

Students can use the university’s Dining Dollars to pay for meals at Chick-fil-A.  Students can also order in advance through Grubhub as Chick-fil-A will not be found on the BITE app. 

The new Chick-fil-A will offer a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. (Cayla Cade)

Stevenson said using the Chick-fil-A app for points is an opportunity the university is looking forward to. However, there will be no discounts offered.

Stevenson noted several students asked for more vegan food options on campus and a larger variety of food vendors than what is currently offered. 

While Chick-Fil-A is one of the most popular fast food franchises, there are anti-LGBTQ controversies surrounding the business. 

The company has a history of donating to anti-LGBTQ groups along with the company president Dan Cathy openly speaking against same-sex marriage.

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, Sanai Ferrell, sophomore multiplatform production major, hopes the new Chick-Fil-A will hold different values with its location at a historically black university.

“Yes they don’t support the LGBTQ community, however a lot of people and restaurants don’t support us as well.” Ferrell said, “For an on-campus opening, it’s giving more food options. Maybe on an HBCU campus, it’ll be run differently and since there are people part of the community on campus it wouldn’t really matter how majority of the White-run Chick-fil-A’s are run.”