2 positive COVID-19 cases detected week of Sept. 6 to 10

14 total cases have been detected on campus since the start of the semester.

Nia Lillard, Staff Writer

In the third week of classes, Morgan State University confirmed two students have tested positive for COVID-19. The university has detected 14 positive cases on campus since the semester started on Aug. 23.

COVID-19 testing data for the week of Sept. 6-11. (Courtesy of Anita Hawkins)

According to last week’s testing data provided by Anita Hawkins, associate dean in the School of Public Health and Policy, there were a total of 502 tests administered. 393 students and 109 faculty members were tested, and two students tested positive.

The university’s testing regime saw a decrease in total tests this week as COVID-19 testing was not open last Monday in recognition of Labor Day.

Students residing on campus that test positive are given isolation guidelines provided by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC.) Commuter students who test positive are encouraged to isolate in their own home.

“There is a difference between isolating versus quarantining,” Hawkins wrote in a written statement, “A person who tests positive ‘isolates.’ Quarantining protocols are required for persons who have been exposed and are waiting for testing results.”

The CDC’s isolation guidelines currently states those who are fully vaccinated don’t need to quarantine after contact unless they have symptoms. They also state that fully vaccinated people should get tested 3-5 days preceding exposure regardless of whether they are wearing masks indoors or if they have symptoms.

Hawkins also confirmed that the university is currently developing a testing plan for students and employees who are fully vaccinated and possibly asymptomatic against COVID-19. This new strategy would include commuter students, fully vaccinated employees, while prioritizing students who residing in on-campus housing.

While the current testing protocol is mandatory for individuals with exemptions against the vaccine requirement, testing is also available to anyone who would like to get tested.

To schedule a COVID-19 test, visit the university health portal. Testing occurs Monday and Thursday from 9 am to 3:10 pm in the University Student Center (USC.)