University Student Center Garage closed for the remainder of the semester

Starting Sunday, the Morgan Commons Garage will be closed through the end of the semester for maintenance and repairs.

Justice Georgie

Morgan State’s University Student center.

Trae Mitchell, Managing Editor

On Friday evening, the MSU Parking Services office announced the Morgan Commons Garage at the University Student Center will be out of service from Sept. 5 until the end of the fall semester.

The garage will be closed for maintenance and repairs starting this Sunday.

However, the university’s commuter parking information currently states individuals with parking permits would have access to the Commons Garage from Sept. 1, 2021 until Aug. 31, 2022.

Those with permits also had access to Lot Y on the lower level of the Murphy Fine Arts Center, Lot QN near the School of Business and Management, and the North Campus Garage by the Center for the Built Environment and Infrastructure Studies (CBEIS).

With the closing of the Commons Garage, permitted students and faculty will be redirected to Lot Y, Lot QN and the North Campus Garage for parking.

Faculty and students will be redirected to Lot Y on the lower level of the Murphy Fine Arts Center, Lot QN near the School of Business and Management, and the North Campus Garage by the Center for the Built Environment and Infrastructure Studies (CBEIS) for parking. (Courtesy of Morgan State University)

According to the parking information, Lot QN will also have limited parking due to construction.

The MSU Parking Services office plans for regular parking procedures to return by the spring semester.

Students living on-campus paid $125 for parking access to the listed lots, including the Commons Garage. The permits came at no additional cost to commuter students.

Despite the sudden closure of the Commons Garage, the garage will remain open for Saturday’s football game against Towson University.

The MSU Parking Services’ announcement said, “Please note: Parking in the University Student Center – Morgan Commons Garage WILL BE AVAILABLE for Saturday’s premier event, the ‘Battle for Greater Baltimore’ featuring MSU Bears Football versus Towson Tigers.”