Morgan receives $6.25 million in tech grants from Google and Apple

The two technological grants will provide scholarships, career development, and more for STEM students.

Dilandra Fender, Contributing Writer

On Thursday, Morgan State University announced the university received $6.25 million in technological grants from Google and Apple.

The grants will help create opportunities and representation for students studying in the field of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM.)

The one-time $5 million grant from Google will provide scholarships, career development, and more for the university. Morgan is one of 10 institutions to receive the grant from Google as a part of their $50 million commitment, Pathways to Tech Initiative.

Google’s initiative focuses on including diverse talent and building equity for STEM education at historically black colleges and universities. President David Wilson expressed his gratitude for Google’s investment in Morgan.

“Google’s considerable investment in HBCUs, and in the ingenuity and promise of our students, demonstrates a recognition of the unparalleled track record HBCUs have consistently amassed in producing top talent representing American innovation, ideation and global competitiveness,” Wilson said in a university press release. 

In addition to the $5 million grant from Google, Morgan was one of four HBCUs selected for the $1.25 million Apple Innovation Grant. The three year grant will provide the university funding for lab space, guest lectures, scholarships, curriculum support, and more.

Like Google, the grant is a component of Apple’s $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative

Oscar Barton, Jr., dean of Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. School of Engineering explained the new grant will give Morgan the opportunity to strengthen their STEM programs.

Barton, Jr. said, “Being awarded the 2021 Apple Innovation Grant not only builds capacity in VLSI chip design here at Morgan’s Mitchell School of Engineering, it also bridges the industry-academia divide by providing an opportunity to enhance our programs and curricula, to cultivate faculty and their research expertise, and to impact workforce development and talent acquisition.” 

The new technological grants add on to the list of notable grants and donations Morgan has received within the past year. Since 2020, Morgan has received $60 million in donations from large contributors such as MacKenize Scott and Calvin Tyler.