Morgan State University to cancel classes on Election Day

Courtesy of Morgan State University

Citizens lined up to vote on Morgan State University’s campus for the 2020 presidential election. Morgan State University will not serve as a polling place for this year’s election.

Jordan Brown, Staff Writer

Morgan State University canceled all classes on Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3.

The university didn’t alter students’ class schedules in the 2012 general election or the 2016 general election—but this year is different. According to President David Wilson, the 2020 general election is important with numerous outcomes at stake.

“Our Morgan Community has been engaged in what the results of this election may mean for our future, particularly our students, and we wanted to clear a path for them to have their say with their vote,” Wilson said in a Thursday evening press release.

In September, the Baltimore City Board of Elections appointed Morgan as an official voting site for this year’s general election. Baltimore residents can cast their vote in the Edward P. Hurt Gymnasium, Morgan’s gymnasium on campus.

The university currently stands as the top polling site in Baltimore with the highest voter turnout in the city, averaging approximately 2,000 votes every day, according to the Baltimore City Board of Elections.

Gov. Larry Hogan penned a letter to the State of Maryland, encouraging everyone to make a plan to vote.

“No matter how you choose to vote in the 2020 general election, we are encouraging everyone to do so in the safest way possible,” Hogan said in a written statement.

For a majority of Morgan students, including sophomore social work major Amir Adams, this is their first time voting in a presidential election and the cancellation of classes allows many to vote without missing class time.

Adams said the university’s decision to cancel classes was the right move and an incentive for students to get to the polls.

“It gives students an opportunity to think about the future of their country and vote without having to stress over classes and schoolwork,” she said.

The deadline to request a mail-in ballot has passed but eligible voters can vote until Tuesday, Nov. 3. With only five days left until the 2020 general election, eligible voters can cast their ballot early and in-person until Tuesday, Nov. 3.