‘We are losing sons, brothers, fathers, neighbors, teachers’ : Hundreds gather for peaceful protest on university grounds

People of all races gathered on Morgan State’s campus in a demonstration against police brutality and racism.

Jordan D. Brown, Staff Writer

On Saturday afternoon, members of the Morgan community, including University President David Wilson, alumni, Baltimore residents and hundreds of others gathered to participate in peaceful protest.

The march started on East Cold Spring Lane and Hillen Road and continued throughout the entire campus. Participants marched peacefully for two hours under the beaming sun and 90-degree heat against police brutality and systemic racism.

Current students and alumni members of Morgan’s National Pan-Hellenic Council handed out free water and snacks to protesters as guest speakers delivered their speeches, sharing their experiences as black people living in America.

The common theme—people are tired.

When Baltimore native Wesley Hawkins chanted “I’m tired,” it resonated deeply with the crowd who repeated the mantra.

“I’m tired of police brutality,” Hawkins said. “We are losing sons, brothers, fathers, neighbors, teachers.”

Despite having two college degrees under his belt, Hawkins—who is currently working on his third degree—still feels fear every time he is pulled over by police.

“If I get pulled over today, I’m still not sure if the police are going to kill me or not,” he said.

Morgan alum Chinedu Nwokeafor joined Hawkins as another prominent voice in today’s protest, leading the march throughout the campus and starting a majority of the chants.

Nwokeafor emphasized the importance of all black lives.

“Black Trans Lives Matter! Black Gay Lives Matter! Black Men’s Lives Matter! Black Women’s Lives Matter!” he chanted.

And people of all races participated in the protest.

Towson native Audra Scott, who considers herself an ally to the cause, came with two friends. They all expressed that they were tired of remaining silent.

“I have a biracial family and it really hits home for me…I have a lot of family members that don’t get it,” Scott said. “I come to every single protest I can to stand up for what’s right.”

Many Baltimore residents sat outside of their homes, raising their fists in the air. Those who drove by even honked their horns to show their support.

“I’m marching for justice. I’d say peace but I think justice needs to happen. We don’t have justice, but we’re being really peaceful about it,” Baltimore resident Mahlia Joyce said.

The protest continued from Holmes Hall to the Murphy Fine Arts Center, down Hillen Road, through Northwood Plaza, and finished at the Earl G. Graves School of Business and Management building.

“I love to see how everyone has some together for this great cause,” recent graduate Hasani Malik said, “Not just people that look like us, but people of all races.”